We are pleased to announce the first round of funding of our new Trainee Research Awards! These awards are part of our new Clinician Scientist Training Program (CSTP) that supports the development of clinician scientists in our department and provides funding and faculty support for trainees to participate in mentored research. Through a survey conducted earlier this year, we found that our trainees have a strong interest in learning more about opportunities to participate in research during training and career opportunities in research. We also learned about the barriers discouraging trainees from participating in research during training and pursuing a career as a clinician scientist and we are working closely with faculty and trainees on a comprehensive strategy to address these challenges. The CSTP is directed by Jesse Fann, MD, MPH, managed by Andie Uomoto, MPA, and supported by various philanthropic donations, department funds, and the Garvey Institute for Brain Health Solutions.
Earlier this month, we awarded ten, one-year grants totaling over $150,000 to psychiatry residents, psychology interns and fellows in various departmental training programs. Congratulations to all of the recipients and a huge thank you to the faculty members who are serving as primary mentors. Thank you also to the selection committee: Jacqueline Hobbs, MD, PhD; Ty Lostutter, PhD, and Dr. Fann. Learn more about the program on the Clinician Scientist Training Program page on our website or by reaching out to Dr. Fann (email@example.com).
Awardees & mentors:
- Alexis Carnduff, MD; Examining the cross-cultural applicability of the Spanish PMQ-9: a comparative validation study. Primary Mentor: Joseph Cerimele, MD, MPH.
- Yanni Chang, MD, MPH; Adam Ketron, MD, PhD; Improving the implementation of smartphone-based contingency management in medical settings for the treatment of methamphetamine use disorder: a qualitative analysis of patient and clinician experiences. Primary Mentor: Kevin Hallgren, PhD.
- Joey Cheung, MA; A pilot trial on EMA habit formation behavioral strategies for improving engagement of digital mindfulness interventions among non-suicidal self-injury engagers. Primary Mentor: Katherine Anne Comtois, PhD, MPH.
- Daniel W. Fisher, MD, PhD; Immune changes with neuropsychiatric symptoms in dementia. Primary Mentor: Michael Schrift, DO, MA, FANPA.
- Mini Elizabeth Jacob, MD; Community resilience to late life depression among first generation Asian Indian immigrants in the greater Seattle area (The CREED Seattle Study). Primary Mentor: Stephen Thielke, MD.
- Adam Kuczynski, PhD; Acceptability and feasibility of a single session + digital mental health intervention for people with psychosis on an acute psychiatric inpatient unit. Primary Mentor: Kevin Hallgren, PhD.
- Katharine Liang, MD, PhD; ERG as a potential biomarker of SSRI-responsive PTSD: a pilot study. Primary Mentor: Rebecca Hendrickson, MD, PhD.
- Hai-Uyen Nguyen, MD; Debriefing adverse events using the RECover Framework. Primary Mentor: Laurel Pellegrino, MD.
- Nicola Park, MD; Was it all a dream? Understanding sleep’s role in mediating psychiatric management in a rural outpatient setting. Primary Mentor: Joseph Cerimele, MD, MPH.
- Marlene Tai, MD; Development of a task to measure the impact of PTSD symptoms on cognitive control and physiologic endpoints in response to interpersonal stressors. Primary Mentor: Rebecca Hendrickson, MD, PhD.