”Can you recommend a good therapist?” Turns out, that is a very challenging question to answer. Whereas some medical fields have reasonable quality indicators (e.g., procedure complication rates, hospital readmissions), with psychotherapy it is very challenging to measure quality.
My research brings together psychotherapy experts with engineers and computer scientists to develop automated methods for evaluating and promoting high-quality counseling and therapy. To do this we rely on speech signal processing and machine learning methodologies and then present it to clinicians and patients using interactive visual summaries.
PhD, Clinical Psychology , University of Washington , 1997-2003
MA, Psychology , Stanford University , 1994-1995
BA, Psychology , Stanford University , 1990-1994
My work focuses on technology-augmented psychotherapy and behavioral interventions, where we use machine learning and user-centered design to provide fast, objective, performance-based feedback to clinicians to assist training, supervision, and quality monitoring. More generally, I’m interested in data science applications in Psychiatry and assist colleagues in designing studies and analyzing data.
- Discovery of conversational best practices in online mental health support
- A cluster-randomized controlled trial testing the effectiveness of the Life Enhancing Alcohol-management Program (LEAP) for Housing First residents
- NORTH: Developing a mobile health intervention to support treatment seeking in early psychosis
- Developing measurement-based care tools for addiction treatment clinics
- Project WISE (Workplace Integrated Support & Education)
- Mobile RDoC: Using smartphone technology to understand Auditory Verbal Hallucinations (AVH)
J Gen Intern Med 38(Suppl 4): 934-936
Atkins D, Clancy C, Elnahal S
Implement Res Pract 4(): 26334895231187906
Berkel C, Knox DC, Flemotomos N, Martinez VR, Atkins DC, Narayanan SS, Rodriguez LA, Gallo CG, Smith JD
Couns Psychother Res 23(2): 378-388
Soma CS, Wampold B, Flemotomos N, Peri R, Narayanan S, Atkins DC, Imel ZE
IEEE Trans Affect Comput 13(1): 508-518
Gibson J, Atkins DC, Creed T, Imel Z, Georgiou P, Narayanan S
Psychol Addict Behav 37(3): 447-461
Larimer ME, Graupensperger S, Lewis MA, Cronce JM, Kilmer JR, Atkins DC, Lee CM, Garberson LA, Walter T, Ghaidarov TM, Hummer JF, Neighbors C, LaBrie JW
Show complete publication list »