”Can you recommend a good therapist?” Turns out, that is a very challenging question to answer. Whereas some medical fields have reasonable quality indicators (e.g., procedure complication rates, hospital readmissions), with psychotherapy it is very challenging to measure quality.
My research brings together psychotherapy experts with engineers and computer scientists to develop automated methods for evaluating and promoting high-quality counseling and therapy. To do this we rely on speech signal processing and machine learning methodologies and then present it to clinicians and patients using interactive visual summaries.
PhD, Clinical Psychology , University of Washington , 1997-2003
MA, Psychology , Stanford University , 1994-1995
BA, Psychology , Stanford University , 1990-1994
My work focuses on technology-augmented psychotherapy and behavioral interventions, where we use machine learning and user-centered design to provide fast, objective, performance-based feedback to clinicians to assist training, supervision, and quality monitoring. More generally, I’m interested in data science applications in Psychiatry and assist colleagues in designing studies and analyzing data.
- A cluster-randomized controlled trial testing the effectiveness of the Life Enhancing Alcohol-management Program (LEAP) for Housing First residents
- NORTH: Developing a mobile health intervention to support treatment seeking in early psychosis
- Developing measurement-based care tools for addiction treatment clinics
- Project WISE (Workplace Integrated Support & Education)
- Mobile RDoC: Using smartphone technology to understand Auditory Verbal Hallucinations (AVH)
(2022 May 24)
Annu Rev Biomed Data Sci
Atkins D, Makridis CA, Alterovitz G, Ramoni R, Clancy C
Comput Speech Lang 75():
Chen Z, Flemotomos N, Singla K, Creed TA, Atkins DC, Narayanan S
Front Psychiatry 13(): 840409
Hallgren KA, Cohn EB, Ries RK, Atkins DC
Am J Public Health 112(S1): S33-S35
Atkins D, Bohnert ASB
(2021 Dec 15)
JMIR Res Protoc 10(12): e33695
Darnell D, Areán PA, Dorsey S, Atkins DC, Tanana MJ, Hirsch T, Mooney SD, Boudreaux ED, Comtois KA
Show complete publication list »